On 2008-12-31, Hunt Jon wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm using a Mac and VIM, which comes by default. If I run ":shell",
> the shell doesn't seem to read any shell startup files such as
> .bash_login, .profile or .bash_profile.
>
> The prompt just says: "bash-3.2$", which is different from what I get
> when I open a Terminal window.
>
> Is there any way to VIM to read my startup files?

When you execute ":shell", Vim should run the program specified by
the value of the 'shell' option, which Vim determines automatically
upon startup.  Vim runs this program without any arguments.  When
started that way, bash should run in interactive mode, in which case
it should read the ~/.bashrc file.  Bash won't read any "login"
files such as .bash_login, .profile or .bash_profile because it is
not being run as a login shell.

See the INVOCATION section of the bash man page.

If you want bash to do more than it does now when run from Vim, put
those extra shell commands and settings in your ~/.bashrc file.  I
wouldn't think you'd need to make all the settings in your
~/.profile every time you launch a new shell, since that file should
have been sourced when you first logged in to your computer and
those settings should already be in the environment from which Vim
was launched, but I'm not familiar with Macs and how their OS might
differ from "standard" Unix.

Regards,
Gary