See this post:

http://phaseportrait.blogspot.com/2007/12/file-associations-and-path-with-macvim.html

which summarizes the common ways to fix this problem on OS X.

Especially because the most recent MacVim snapshot has updated its file
association database significantly, the best choice is just to use MacVim.

As discussed elsewhere in this thread, starting vim (or gvim) from the
Terminal should always land you in the right PATH. If you're starting
gvim or mvim from a launcher, using gvim.app or mvim.app (or just MacVim
in general) is the best way to go. If you're starting Terminal vim from
a launcher, you should wrap it in a login shell

        bash -lc vim

That's effectively how MacVim solves the problem with its instances of vim.

--Ted

--
Ted Pavlic <t...@tedpavlic.com>