On 09/04/09 00:34, Mr.SpOOn wrote:

> 2009/4/8 Matt Wozniski<m...@drexel.edu>:
>> Is it normal that syntax highlighting an empty file takes 10 seconds?
>> Of course not!
>
> Yes, right. Of course not. I asked a silly question, and I got a silly answer.
>
> Any idea about what can possibly be the cause of the delay?

You should NEVER modify or remove ANY files in $VIMRUNTIME or its
subdirectories, because any upgrade of the runtime files may (and sooner
or later one will) overwrite any changes that you apply there, with no
warning that something untoward happened.

That means (on Linux with Vim 7.2) /usr/local/share/vim/vim72/ and
anything below it.

However, there may be another way to disable plugins in that directory
tree. Read further.

One reason why the HTML syntax script may be slower than some others is
that HTML syntax invokes several other syntax scripts, namely CSS,
javascript and vbscript. However, 10 seconds is clearly a lot (and it
loads faster than that on my system). Maybe disabling just one oor a few
of them would improve performance (though that's far from certain). For
instance, if you never use vbscript in your HTML pages (or elsewhere)
you might disable that.

And now here's how to disable a syntax script:
In ~/.vim/syntax/ (which you may create if it doesn't exist), add a
script of the same name as the script you want to disable, but
containing only the following line:

        let b:current_syntax = expand("<sfile>:t:r")

That's all. It should make the script of the same name in
$VIMRUNTIME/syntax finish early when it notices that b:current_syntax is
already set. (:scriptnames will still mention it, but it won't have done
anything.)

Best regards,
Tony.
--
Eye have a spelling checker, it came with my PC;
It plainly marks four my revue mistakes I cannot sea.