Saluton Gene :)

Gene Kwiecinski  <g...@dclab.com> skribis:
>>Any member should be aware of the list guidelines, but I'm realistic
>>and I know that almost nobody reads them, so a warning is not a bad
>>idea:
>
> Absolutely.  But typically no one corrects (even unintentional) bad
> behavior, the offender continues, and then we all have these ongoing
> threads about how top-posting is eeeevil, arguments pro/con, /ad
> nauseam/.

I know, Gene, I know. I want to think otherwise, but I'm quite aware
that people only learn when hit with a rolled newspaper...

> On a list where top-posting is the default, fine, I'll top-post.
>  ("When in Rome...")  But don't expect me to answer such a query
> point-by-point.  One bulk answer at the top, *you* figure out which
> point pertains to what quoted-section below.  Such is the nature of
> *that* beast.

I wouldn't join a list where top-posting is the preferred style. Too
hard to make sense of a long thread with that style, since I learnt to
read top-to-bottom when a child...

> Point out the list's convention, suggest not too subtly that doing so
> will get answers vs being ignored, and most likely, problem solved.
> Get an argument why top-posting should be acceptable, and the person
> then gets ignored.

Although I think more or less like you, I wouldn't impose such policy on
the list, because it's impossible to enforce unless you ban people, and
that's a thing I don't like to do. If you ban a stupid person, he
becomes a martyr, but if you let him stay, sooner or later he is ignored
by everyone on the list. Much better on the long term...

>>warned, I don't see any reason to be polite with them and since
>>repeating the same warning again and again doesn't seem to have any
>>effect, I just filter them. And it works great for me.
>
> Exactly.  Usually, though, when I see a reply above quoted text, I
> just skip to the next one.  A newbie wouldn't be posting an initial
> query to an existing post, so chances are good the person's just
> willfully ignoring the convention.  So I skip/ignore it.

I think the same and I do the same. I still haven't seen a newbie whose
first message is a top-posted reply. There probably be such messages,
but I haven't noticed them.

>>I'm open to discuss list guidelines here (although I don't define them
>>and I don't have the power to enforce them), of course, but repeatedly
>>ignoring them is plain rudeness in my not-so-humble opinion and I
>>don't have to put up with that.
>
> I just don't have the time/patience/desire to be annoyed.  Some people
> sign up to the list to learn things (as I did), to ask questions
> (fine, but follow the conventions of the list), and even to help
> others by answering their questions.  The last is an act of
> generosity.

Right. It is giving your free time away to others, and time is very
valuable. Most top-posters I know use that style because it is faster.
OK, they value their time, but since MY time is for me much more
valuable than any other's time, I choose to ignore such messages, thus
saving MY time.