On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 10:15 PM, Tony Mechelynck
<antoine.mechely...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I believe in mutual respect.

Fair enough.

> To the guy whose post is _nothing but_ a cursory, unfounded assertion
> that top-posting is better

How about a founded assertion? I find that if I'm actively following a
thread, and the topic is not requiring a point-by-point reply, I get
people's thoughts much quicker when I don't have to reread the message
I just read to get to the reply. For example (not meaning to pick on
you, Tony), but I had to go through 38 lines of your message to get to
the meat of your reply.

If I'm not following the thread, I would still have to read the same
amount of text to get to understand your reply with either top and
bottom posting.

> or to the individual who repeatedly and
> systematically _always_ top posts, I'll answer much more flippantly, as
> I did a few minutes ago to a post higher up in this thread.

My reply to yours was also a bit flippant. I believe that top-posting
with generous snipping is generally better, and no one is likely to
convince me otherwise. Frankly, this is the only list I subscribe to
that has a recommendation for bottom posting. The rest of my lists
believe in good answers and snipping irrelevant text. And honestly, it
just rubs me the the wrong way about how the top- vs bottom-post
debate has both sides turning it into such a holy war.

> As for the guy saying "Hey retards, how do you delete lines from 3 to
> 10 in one shot?", as in the case you mentioned, the reply might be a
> simple RTFM reply like

Those people get completely ignored on my other various
computer/geeky-help lists.