>       set guioptions-=T
>       set guifont=Menlo:12
>       set lines=50
>       set columns=100
>       set mouse=a
>       autocmd GUIEnter * set vb t_vb=
>       colorscheme desert
> endif
>
> Do I really need more than that GUIEnter? If I do then how does that
> change the above? Do I have multiple GUIEnter * set ... commands?

For your specific need, this is enough. If we're talking about a generic
solution, multi-line GUIEnter autocmd is the way.

Personally, I'd recommend a separate ~/.gvimrc. Since in most cases I
use the console vim, remove the gui stuffs in ~/.vimrc speeds up vim a
little. [at least it checks the :if has("gui_running") and search for
:endif, which takes time]

But your mind may vary.