On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 2:15 PM, Chris Sutcliffe wrote:

>>> I don't see anything wrong with your setup for sharing configuration
>>> files between Windows and Cygwin, but instead of modifying 'rtp', I
>>> put all my personal configuration files in ~/vimfiles and created
>>> ~/.vim as a Cygwin symbolic link to ~/vimfiles.  I assume that
>>> you've verified that your scheme works for other configuration
>>> files, just not for ftdetect files.
>
> I've removed the modification of runtimepath from my .vimrc and
> created a symbolic link between vimfiles and .vim and it's now
> working.  Dunno what the difference is, but I'm a happy camper.
>
> Thank you for the help!

IIRC, ftdetect files are read at the first "filetype on" (or "syntax
on", which indirectly calls the former), and aren't re-read after
'runtimepath' is changed.  So, I haven't tested this, but I'm
relatively certain you could have fixed your original problem by doing
"filetype off" and "filetype on" as the next two lines after your
'runtimepath' change, to force the ftdetect scripts to be reloaded.

~Matt