On 10/11/09 06:29, Matt Wozniski wrote:

>> I've removed the modification of runtimepath from my .vimrc and
>> created a symbolic link between vimfiles and .vim and it's now
>> working.  Dunno what the difference is, but I'm a happy camper.
>>
>> Thank you for the help!
>
> IIRC, ftdetect files are read at the first "filetype on" (or "syntax
> on", which indirectly calls the former), and aren't re-read after
> 'runtimepath' is changed.  So, I haven't tested this, but I'm
> relatively certain you could have fixed your original problem by doing
> "filetype off" and "filetype on" as the next two lines after your
> 'runtimepath' change, to force the ftdetect scripts to be reloaded.
>
> ~Matt

...or, of course, by placing your ":set rtp" commands near the top of
your vimrc, before any of the following:

        filetype [plugin] [indent] on
        syntax on
        source $VIMRUNTIME/vimrc_example.vim
        runtime vimrc_example.vim

Indeed, any modification to the 'runtimepath' option only influences
where _future_ sourced scripts will be searched. Anything already done,
is done.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
You worry too much about your job.  Stop it.  You're not paid enough to
worry.