On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 10:51 PM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
> On 10/11/09 06:29, Matt Wozniski wrote:
>>
>> IIRC, ftdetect files are read at the first "filetype on" (or "syntax
>> on", which indirectly calls the former), and aren't re-read after
>> 'runtimepath' is changed.  So, I haven't tested this, but I'm
>> relatively certain you could have fixed your original problem by doing
>> "filetype off" and "filetype on" as the next two lines after your
>> 'runtimepath' change, to force the ftdetect scripts to be reloaded.
>
> ...or, of course, by placing your ":set rtp" commands near the top of your
> vimrc, before any of the following:
>
>        filetype [plugin] [indent] on
>        syntax on
>        source $VIMRUNTIME/vimrc_example.vim
>        runtime vimrc_example.vim

That doesn't help if there's a "filetype on" or "syntax on" in the
systemwide vimrc, as there is on many linux distros.

    :filetype off | filetype on

should always work to make sure that all needed ftdetect files are
sourced, regardless of what's in the systemwide rcs or what other
commands have already been run.

~Matt