Hi guys,

I've been having an odd problem with my automatic text wrapping in vim. I
wrap my text with the "gq" command, sometimes as "gqap" (to wrap a
paragraph), sometimes as "gggqG" (to wrap the whole document). I've been
using vim for years and I don't recall ever having this issue.

Just recently, it started doing something really weird. I think a picture is
worth a thousand words, so here's a blog post I've been working on:

http://old.nabble.com/file/p27554664/vim-problem.png

Here's the contents of my vimrc:

  1 set number
  2 set nowrap
  3 set tabstop=2
  4 set expandtab
  5 set shiftwidth=2
  6 set autoindent
  7 set smartindent
  8 set hlsearch
  9
 10 au BufRead,BufNewFile *.cltex    set filetype=cltex
 11 au BufRead,BufNewFile *.gnarly   set filetype=gnarly
 12 au BufRead,BufNewFile *.ocamltex set filetype=ocamltex
 13 au BufRead,BufNewFile *.scala    set filetype=scala
 14 au BufReadPost,BufNew *.profile  set syntax=profile

Here are some things I've tried:

1. Changing the text width. In this particular case, I've got the text width
set to 65 -- ":set tw=65" -- but I've tried it with text widths of 55, 60,
65, 70, and 75. Changing the text width will usually fix the paragraph in
question, but then another one will start doing the same thing.

2. Manually correcting the paragraph. But unfortunately, as soon as I use
the "gq" command again, it goes right back.

3. Uninstalling and reinstalling vim. No change.

4. Playing with my vimrc. It might have something to do with the shiftwidth
because when I took out that line, I got the same problem, except indented 8
spaces instead of 2:

http://old.nabble.com/file/p27554664/vim-problem-2.png

(This image is not showing up on the preview. If it doesn't display when I
post, I'll try reposting it in a reply ... hopefully you get the idea
though.)

Anyway, my programmer husband (who has been a major vim user and Linux geek
for years and years and years) has never seen this happen. And I've done a
few google searches, but beyond "vim text wrapping problem" (which doesn't
turn up much) I don't know what to look for.

So sorry for the information overload, and especially if this is a routine
problem. But any help is much appreciated!

Joyce
(who is pretty baffled and would just like her text wrapping to work :D)