Oops, I think I sent my last message only to Ben ... Here's a quick summary
for those of you who are curious how this played out. :)

Removing smartindent from my vimrc solved the problem. I looked through my
files and, indeed, it only happens after a line starting with the word
"for". (Pretty subtle - I doubt I would've ever noticed on my own, let alone
known why.) I think I introduced the problem when I redid my vimrc a few
months ago based on a web tutorial that recommended smartindent; I suspect
the tutorial was outdated. Something to check in the future. :)

So thanks again!
Joyce