Lisp is essentially a functional language.

People keep saying that but Emacs Lisp and Common Lisp are really
multi-paradigm languages (Common Lisp more so).

Yeah, I know. But I think the 'essence' of the language is more
functional, really. Even 'functional' is used pretty loosely, though.
I was aiming for a broad stereotype. Not like me. Usually I'm horribly
pedantic.

I should get around to learning some Lisp properly. It's somewhat on my
"I'm not all that interested" language list because of the syntax,
though; like Perl. A bit too flexible for my liking, as it can lead a
bit too easily to sloppy programs. And I've never been all that good at
counting parentheses!

Mind you, at least the syntax itself it is absolutely consistent.
Comparatively, Vimscript is a mess!

Most people find imperative languages easier to understand because
they're a bit more like recipes and a bit less like Mathematics! Some
people find the reverse, though.

And some people like both and use Lisp. :-)

Touché!

Grins,

Ben.