dim, 18 Apr 2010, Paul skribis:
> I am running Vim 7.2 within gnome-terminal, term=xterm, and I just
> noticed a strange glitchiness: hitting Escape produces the string
> ^[ at the bottom of the screen, wrapped around to two lines (instead
> of in the statusbar), and the arrow keys produce A B C D. As these
> characters are added at the bottom, the usable area of the window
> quickly scrolls off the top and the Vim session becomes unusable. I
> put a screenshot here: http://imgur.com/A0Oei.png
>
> It's not a problem for me. I thought I'd point it out here though
> because there's an odd quirk: it only happens when the gnome-terminal
> window is set to exactly 100 characters wide when Vim is launched.
> With it at 99, 101, 200, Vim is fine. Vim is also fine if I launch it
> first and then resize the window to 100.

I encountered similar issue.  I guess for console vim, the variable
'columns' (and also 'lines') is only meant for reporting rather than
setting because vim itself cannot change the geometry of the terminal
emulator. Moreover, even the terminal emulator or gvim cannot change
its geometry at will because that is to be controlled by window
manager. Consequently I did not set those variables inside vimrc
again.

--
regards,
GPG key 1024D/4434BAB3 2008-08-24