lun, 19 Apr 2010, John Little skribis:

> On Apr 19, 2:02 pm, bill lam  wrote:
> > I encountered similar issue.  I guess for console vim, the variable
> > 'columns' (and also 'lines') is only meant for reporting rather than
> > setting because vim itself cannot change the geometry of the terminal
> > emulator.
>
> Er, no.  For me, if I start gnome-terminal with 80 columns, run vim
> and type :set columns=100, the gnome-terminal window is resized, and
> on exiting vim persists with 100 columns, and COLUMNS=100 in the
> environment.  SIGWINCH signals fly about to tell processes about
> window size changes, I wonder if the OP has this disabled or trapped,
> confusing things.

I think that client can request window manager to change size but it
is always up to window manager to determine the final result.  I
suspect that vim did not verify the actual geometry after set columns.
I've never browse the relevant vim source code thus this is just a
wild guess.

I use dwm which is a tilt window manager, when I start vim it reports
columns=113, I can :set columns=200  it completed without complaining
and :set column? gave 200, but the actual console size cannot and was
never changed. The status bar then spread into 2 lines.

--
regards,
GPG key 1024D/4434BAB3 2008-08-24