On Aug 16, 10:44 am, Aaron Lewis <aaron.lewis1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 08/16/2010 07:56 AM, John wrote:
> > On Aug 14, 2:41 pm, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> >> Try using
> >>         :set backupcopy=yes
>
> >> This should overwrite the old file with the new version (using a copy
> >> for the backup if any) thus preserving any attributes the file may have.
> >> The alternative is renaming the old file as backup and creating a new
> >> file for the new version (which is faster, but may sometimes lose some
> >> attributes, e.g. when editing from Windows a network file on a Unix
> >> server).
>
> >> See :help 'backupcopy'
>
> >> Best regards,
> >> Tony.
> >> --
> >> The word "spine" is, of course, an anagram of "penis".  This is true in
> >> almost fifty percent of the languages of the Galaxy, and many people
> >> have attempted to explain why.  Usually these explanations get bogged
> >> down in silly puns about "standing erect".
> >>                 -- Douglas Adams, "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"
>
> > Thanks for the suggestion Tony - the plot did thicken a little with
> > this tip.
>
> > If I set the file as 777, then set backupcopy to yes, then save it, it
> > goes to (and stays at) 655.  If I then set backupcopy to auto, as it
> > was originally on Windows, then save, the file goes to 644.  Either
> > way, the user execute bit on my script is being removed - but the
> > treatment of group/other execute bits surprised me.
>
> > It certainly looks to me like some kind of file mask problem and I
> > very much suspected Samba settings - but the fact that notepad and
> > wordpad get it right suggests it's got to be something about the
> > windows vim implementation alone?  I tried going back to the very
> > first 7.0 release, but the behaviour was the same.  I've tried from
> > two different computers (both XP) - same behaviour.
>
> > Aaron - thanks for the reply - but I don't understand quite what you
> > mean.  From where should I be running the umask command - vim?
> > windows? linux?
>
> On Linux , where samba server runs.
>
> What if u set up a new umask , before editing any files , will it be
> some different ?
>
> * umask 077
> * vim a
> * ll a
> - -rw------- 1 xxx yyy 4 Aug 16 08:36 a
>
> This is just an idea , may not work well.
> Or came to your shell configurations e.g ~/.cshrc , set umask bits.
>
> - --
> Best Regards,
> Aaron Lewis - PGP: 0x4A6D32A0

Thanks for the clarification Aaron.
I could be wrong but I don't think this well help.  If I run umask on
the linux box, I'm running it in a shell - but I'd have thought that
any changes I make would be local to that shell - since the vim
session is not run in that shell, but on a separate, Windows machine.
The only changes that would appear relevant to me would be changes to
samba configuration files - but the sys admins have so far said "Well
if it works in notepad, and it works in wordpad - it's vim that's
broken, not the samba config" - and as yet, I don't know enough to
argue.
Does that make sense?

Thanks,
John