On Aug 15, 11:46 pm, John <itc....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Given how often I save a script from vim, versus how often I get a
> power failure at the exact moment I save a file, it seems to me that
> the 'simple (and stupid) program' approach would be far more useful to
> me - especially considering I of course keep the backup files that vim
> creates.  I don't suppose there's an option in vim to get it to use
> the permission retaining approach to saving files?

The idea scares me a little, but I think this will do it:

:set nobackup
:set nobackupcopy
:set nowritebackup
:set nopatchmode

I have not tried this but :help 'backup', :help 'writebackup',
and :help 'backup-table' seem to indicate this is what you desire.

Also noted just below :help 'backup-table', even in the case of power
failure during a file write, it is quite possible the swap file will
still allow recovery. So you won't be completely unprotected.