On Fri, 20 Aug 2010, Jeri Raye wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I see many times people create color schemes for vim.
> With special names as well.
> To me personally I have only one scheme with my personal prefferences.
> And for all my filetypes it's all the same.
>
> Why do you use several different color schemes?

I'd be surprised if many people used several different schemes.  The
point of having color schemes with names is that you can share them with
others.  Or just to know that you're loading the correct scheme when
moving between systems.

I would also be surprised if most people created their own schemes from
scratch.  It's much easier to start with a named scheme[1] and modify
it, if you really want to.

[1] Color scheme examples (w/ Perl code sample)
http://vimcolorschemetest.googlecode.com/svn/html/index-pl.html

> What does it help you?
> Why for example do you prefer dark color schemes (black/grey
> brackground, soft letter colors).
>
> I have a white background with black letters, or hard blue, green, red, brown.
> Very readable (at least that's my opnion) and contrasting keywords,
> syntax words, strings, ect.

That's roughly my preference too, so I use the 'dual' scheme (actually a
version modified to work w/ 256-color terminals, but same difference).

When writing code, not much shows up as black, but when composing email,
most text is black.

--
Best,
Ben