On 07/04/11 17:04, wxuyec wrote:
while it works for gvim and the command mode.
after I press /, when I want to use Up key to
go through the searching history, I get a character
A inserted.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like termcap discrepancy in Console mode:
1) What terminal are you running in? (cmd.exe, Terminal.app, xterm, konsole, gnome-terminal, mlterm, ...)
2) What is 'term' set to?
3) In Insert mode, when you hit Ctrl-V (or Ctrl-Q if you use Ctrl-V to paste) followed by <Up>, what is inserted?
4) In Normal mode, what is the answer to

        :verbose set <Up>? <xUp>?

If neither of the replies at step 4 corresponds to what you see at step 3, you have a problem.

Another possibility is that the first byte at step 3 is Ctrl-[ aka <Esc> and that Vim confuses it with a true Escape. In that case, try something like

        :set timeout timeoutlen=4000 ttimeoutlen=200

where:
        * both values are in milliseconds
* 'timeoutlen' should be longer than the time between successive keypresses when you're typing the {lhs} of a multibyte mapping at your slowest typing speed, but not so long as to make you impatient when you're waiting for Vim to notice that you don't want to trigger a mapping * 'ttimeoutlen' should be shorter than the time between successive keypresses at your fastest typing speed but longer than the time between successive bytes sent by the keyboard driver for a single (special-key) keypress.

(Of course, if you're typing faster than the keyboard driver, you should calm down. ;-) )

see
        :help termcap-options
                (read the introductory section, then
                scroll down to KEY CODES)
        :help 'timeout'
        :help 'timeoutlen'

Best regards,
Tony.
--
As of next week, passwords will be entered in Morse code.