On Tue, 12 Apr 2011, wxuyec wrote:

it is strange. I have checked what tony suggested and posted the results. but I don't know why the post doesn't appear in this thread. Here I will repost the results again.
1) I am running konsole.
2) the term is set to be xterm.
3) In Insert mode, when you hit Ctrl-V followed by <Up>, the "OA" are inserted.
4) In Normal mode, the answer to
        :verbose set <Up>? <xUp>?
is:
t_ku <Up>        ^[O*A
    <xUp>       ^[[1;*A

I think Tim is right because in the shell after I run "cat", and hit <Up> key, I got ^[[A. I think vim got ^[OA from the <Up> key. How can I fix the problem? thank you.

In the shell, running `cat`, your terminal is not in "application mode" or "keypad mode".

Under Zsh, there's a $terminfo associative array which makes it pretty easy to test what Vim would see:

$ echo $terminfo[smkx] ; cat ; echo $terminfo[rmkx]

You can find the codes appropriate for your running terminal by looking for smkx and rmkx in the output of `infocmp`.

For xterm (and thus most other terms):
'smkx' = keypad_xmit =  \E[?1h\E=
'rmkx' = keypad_local = \E[?1l\E>

For rxvt-unicode: