On 07/07/11 16:26, Eric Weir wrote:

I've discovered a color scheme that I like better than the one I've been using
since starting with Vim/MacVim a few months ago. However, there's one element
that clashes for me -- the color of the cursor. I know what color I'd like it
to be, i.e., the color that CameCase words get in a plugin I use using this
scheme.

How do I change the color of the cursor? How do I identify and specify the
color I want?

Thanks,
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eew...@bellsouth.net

1) If the colorscheme you've come to love is one distributed with Vim (and found in $VIMRUNTIME/colors/) then don't modify it in-place. The way to modify such a scheme for your own youse is to:

a) Make sure that directory $HOME/.vim/colors exists, and if necessary, create it, with its parent if that doesn't yet exist either b) Copy the colorscheme you want to edit into that new directory, and give it a new name that doesn't clash with the name of any existing colorscheme
c) THEN you may modify that "new" colorscheme without fear.

(Anything in the directory tree starting at $VIMRUNTIME may be silently modified whenever you upgrade Vim.)

2) See
        :help 'guicursor'
        :help lCursor
        :help hl-Cursor
        :help hl-CursorIM
        :help CursorIM
for the names of the cursor colors used in the gvim or MacVim GUI. In short, they are:
- Cursor     the cursor color for everything except what is said below
- lCursor    when a keymap (or language-mappings) are in effect
- CursorIM   when an Input Method (XIM or Windows IME) is in effect

See also:
- about one page below ":help xfree-xterm" how to set the cursor color in an xterm
        - ":help xterm-blink" to make the cursor blink in an xterm
- the full ":help xterm-color" section about how to nudge some particular terminals to get color in them - ":help termcap-cursor-color" about how to change cursor color in some terminals when going into or out of Insert mode.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
Physicists do it with charm