Anthony Campbell, Thu 2011-09-22 @ 09:13:10+0100:
> I am using a simple workround, which is to alias gvim to gvim -f to
> prevent it forking. Not ideal but at least it doesn't crash.

Sorry I can't be much more help. I'm simply not able to recreate the
problem on my machine, and I don't have a Debian system on hand to try
it on.

The only other thing I might suggest would be to compile the latest
version of Vim from Mercurial
<http://code.google.com/p/vim/source/checkout> and see if it still
happens. You didn't mention the patch level of the version you're using
(the 3rd number in the version string), and many of the patches that
have been released for 7.3 are bugfixes, so perhaps your issue has
already been addressed.