On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 08:12, howardb21 <howard...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I installed the source and tried various work arounds to the standard
> make. But this is a large, networked computer system maintained by a
> major university. They are not about to give one of their ordinary
> usuers root priviliges. And one needed root permissions to run make,
> or the compiler. Yes I can ask them to do it for me, but a previous
> request like that failed. We may well have to pressure them on the
> grounds of accessibility.

You can install it in your home directory, you don't need root
permission for that.

When you run the configure step, there is a --prefix option that you
can set to a directory that you can write to, e.g., somewhere in your
home directory, say /home/howardb21/myruntime, and then after your
usual make && make install you'll have your vim binary under
/home/howardb21/myruntime/bin, which you'd want to add to your PATH.

Regards,

--
Jacobo de Vera
http://www.jacobodevera.com