On May 24, 2012 at 07:14 AM -0400, Eric Weir wrote:
After starting vim I take a bit of time to load the base files I normally work with. It would be a minor convenience if vim could be made to start with these files already loaded.

It's a bit different from what you are talking about, but you might want to check out vim-session [1]. It let's you easily save everything in your current session with a single command:

    SaveSession name

Then you can close it with:

    CloseSession name

And when you restart vim and you want your windows and files back exactly like they were:

    OpenSession name

You can have multiple sessions saved as well. It's built upon the :mksession command. It's very straightforward to use.

[1]: http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=3150