On Tue, Jun 05, 2012 at 05:12:13PM -0400, Eric Weir wrote:

> On May 24, 2012, at 7:26 AM, Marc Weber wrote:

> > Excerpts from Eric Weir's message of Thu May 24 13:14:40 +0200 2012:
> >>
> >> After starting vim I take a bit of time to load the base files I
> >> normally work with. It would be a minor convenience if vim could be
> >> made to start with these files already loaded.
> >
> > Option 1)
> >  github.com/MarcWeber/vim-addon-local-vimrc
> >  Then just put
> >  e foo.vim
> >  e bar.vim
> >
> >  into the local .vimrc file.

> Thank you Marc. You forget that I'm an idiot. I understand very little of the
> language you guys speak. I read the readme for this but I understood very
> little of it either. This is not backhanded criticism. Just stating the
> facts. I appreciate your generosity, and when I do understand you're always
> very helpful.

> > Option 2)
> > :mksession and then source it

> Others have made this suggestion. I'll be checking it out.

The thing I don't like about session files is they save a whole lot
more than just the buffer list.  Every setting is saved, and if
between uses you change something in your .vimrc, it will be over-
ridden by the session file.

My favorite way of addressing this is to create two modules specific
to the project.  First, for example, I would create a module 'fb' on
my ~/bin path and make it executable.  It would contain something
simple like

    #!/bin/bash
    gvim -S ~/.vim/foobar.vim

Then in my ~/.vim path I would create a module called foobar.vim
containing the list of files I want to start with for the foobar
project, as follows:

    badd foo.vim
    badd bar.vim

This gives you control over what opens, uses the settings in your
.vimrc, and leaves vim alone to be used for other projects without
those files being opened

> > Option 3) use most recently used file plugin such as tmru
> > Then opening those files is a lot faster

> I gave this a look. A bit uncertain whether it addresses my need.

I try to avoid all plugins -- they are a source of unexpected
behavior.

sc