On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 8:55 AM, Tim Chase <v...@tim.thechases.com> wrote:

> On 2013-02-12 08:39, Ben Fritz wrote:
> > On Tuesday, February 12, 2013 9:37:20 AM UTC-6, Patrick wrote:
> > > Hi Everyone. I would like to switch from gvim to vim.
> >
> > I'm not criticizing your decision. But I want to know, why? Maybe
> > I'll consider it too sometime, too; right now I have no reason at
> > all to switch.
>
> My big plus for (non-g)vim is that I use it within screen/tmux
> allowing me to uneventfully resume my session from another machine.
> As I spend a majority of my time in a console, it's right within
> reach.
>
> Gvim does offer benefits:  a broader spectrum of colors for creating
> color-schemes, fonts are easier to choose, and Unicode display tends
> to be less of a pain (not reliant on the terminal and its settings).
> Additionally, for those that need it, the menu & toolbars are there.
> I tend to fly with all my 'guioptions' turned off, so it's somewhat
> moot for me.  On Win32, gvim also allows more than 80 columns with
> less headache (cmd.exe is less than friendly when it comes to
> changing the number of columns).
>
> Either way, I run both rxvt+vim (most of the time) or gvim
> (occasionally) using Fluxbox's ability to disable all chrome, so I can
> maximize my editing to 100% of the screen real-estate (no chrome,
> menus, task-bar, dock, slit, etc).  On Win32, I run gvim almost
> exclusively.
>
> -tim

I usually use GVim or MacVim, but occasionally I need to use Vim in a terminal

Mac: iTerm2, http://www.iterm2.com/

Linux: I just learned about the st terminal, but I haven't tried it.
https://plus.google.com/111049168280159033135/posts/fMe7yuaDXKA
The Ubuntu Terminal (gnome-terminal?) has served me well.

Windows: recently learned about ConEmu-Maximus5, but I haven't tried it.
http://code.google.com/p/conemu-maximus5/
I avoid using vim in the stock cmd.exe window, even though I wrote
most of the Win32 console mode code back in the mid-90s.
--
/George V. Reilly  geo...@reilly.org  Twitter: @georgevreilly
http://www.georgevreilly.com/blog  http://blogs.cozi.com/tech