On 07/19/13 03:34, shawn wilson wrote:

On Jul 18, 2013 5:54 PM, "Ben Fritz" <fritzophre...@gmail.com
<mailto:fritzophre...@gmail.com>> wrote:

 > On Thursday, July 18, 2013 3:51:01 PM UTC-5, Lech Lorens wrote:
 > > On Thursday, July 18, 2013 3:42:06 PM UTC+2, shawn wilson wrote:
 > > >
 > > > I'm constantly looking for the first octet of IP addresses, so I do:
 > > > /[^0-9\.]10\.
 > > >

 > > Slightly off-topic, but wanted to make you aware that [^\.] matches
anything that isn't a dot AND IS NOT A BACKSLASH. IOW backslash is not
escaping the dot inside the [] range.

 > And furthermore the . doesn't NEED escaping inside the [] range.

This is probably a feature request but I really do hate the regex engine
and would love to swap it out. Is there / can there be a compile time
option to use a different engine?

There is a runtime option to disable the new engine in favour of the old one — or vice-versa. See :help 'regexpengine'

--
The only difference in the game of love over the last few thousand years
is that they've changed trumps from clubs to diamonds.