2013-07-19 17:40, Nikolay Pavlov skrev:
You missed the point of locales. It is not about encoding, it is about
language and affects ranges (what characters match a-z range depends on
language you set in your locale) and a big bunch of other things I do not
care about.

I know, but I usually deal with languages that are so exotic or so extinct that there are no locales for them, or with such
philologists' tics like typesetting a language in romanization,
yet sort it as if it were in the native script.  There ain't no
locales for that either.  I'm just happy that I can get UTF-8
I/O out of the box and that there are tools to do such sorting,
but for the most part I've had to write my own tools. Luckily
user-defined character properties can make up for missing ranges to a degree. (<https://metacpan.org/module/perlunicode#User-Defined-Character-Properties>), and ack as grepprg goes a long
way towards having unicode-aware searching in vim.