2013-07-19 09:59, shawn wilson skrev:
On Jul 18, 2013 11:48 PM, "John Beckett" <johnb.beck...@gmail.com> wrote:

shawn wilson wrote:
This is probably a feature request but I really do hate the
regex engine and would love to swap it out. Is there / can
there be a compile time option to use a different engine?

No (I assume you want different regex syntax, probably PCRE).

libpcre would be fine, yes. Or the library that Ruby uses - either way.

Yeah, it looks like sed's syntax. If I'm used to writing things one way
(say in code) and then hit '/' to do a similar thing inside my editor,
switching mindset constantly makes me loose my thought (generally what
happens) or make stupid errors like earlier in this thread.

I feel the same sometimes, as I code Perl in Vim on a daily
basis, but Vim's (old) regex engine/syntax actually allows useful
things which are impossible or hard inn Perl, not only the other
way around. And I can always filter through a perl oneliner if I
want to use perl's regex engine. Can't you do the same with Ruby?
Vim regexes come closer to Perl's if you use of \v and so that
ought to bring you closer to PCRE too unless the "PC" is now only
an historical leftover (I haven't looked at the specs in a long
time, but hey) The only thing I regularly miss in Vim regexes is
\Q...\E. \V...\v comes close, although you still have to escape
your backslashes under \V.

So I guess I should file a feature request for support of \Q,
although someone probably has already...

/bpj