Paul wrote:
On Tuesday, 28 March, 2017 at 13:08:03 BST, L A Walsh wrote:
Just the other day, I had two files open in tabs (.cc and .h: a C++ source & header). Instead of window switching, I wanted to change my visual layout for 1 pair of files to see them side-by-side (and when I was done, close the 2nd
display leaving the 2nd file as a 2nd tab in the 1st window.

Why not just :vsplit the other file into the current tab, and :quit it when done?
---
   If vsplit could split the file into another window, that'd be great!

But I want to be able to arrange the windows side-by-side -- maybe 1
on each side or, rarely, maybe 2 on each side (one above another).

Trying to simulate all of this in 1 window is near impossible,
but being able to view multiple files at the same time in
some side-by-side or one-on-top seems like a fairly basic
desire.  Right now, I have 10 different copies of gvim running,
each with 2 files (c++ source & header) and another 4 copies
with other work/projects in them.  At times I have 6-8 gvim's
open on my desktop each w/different files that I move between
to analyze call paths between different modules.

In this case, sometimes I want to view the header & c++ source
side-by-side in two windows and when done, I'd like to move
the header-file-window back into a tab of the source-file-window.

When I have to make code changes in multiple windows, it is
a hassle that I don't have the same history list in common
so I can repeat commands in each window instead of having to type
them, afresh, in each window.

People who do development get larger screens and multiple screens
so they can have multiple files and projects open at the same
time.

Does that help understand my use case?

Thanks!
Linda