Ben Fritz wrote:

Is maximizing for the split view and then restoring the application window an
option? If not is there a reason you need specifically 80-character application
windows? Or do you just like that size?
----
   I never use full screen unless I'm not doing work (movies/games).
   80-chars -- many projects require lines to fit in an 80-char
width.  It's a standard in the software world (not so much in the web
world).

   And there's the final 'rub'... I'll try the other commands
you mention -- but I gave 1 example (that can't even be
handled w/80 column widths).  When I'm working on a project
with >50 file-pairs, working to resize any of them manually is a
pain -- thus my comment that it was easier to quite and restart both
files in separate 80 column windows (FYI -- my window columns are
adjusted for the line numbers, automatically, so if a file has
line numbers turned on in the header, a vim-function takes care of
resizing the windows wider to handle the extra columns needed for
the numbering).

   Also, side-by-side is one of the simplest to describe, but
many times, I'll have windows staggered so a quick click can
switch me to a different file.  <<THAT is a major reason why
I don't use full screen.  When I want to take a break or do
something else, I'll minimize my 13-vim edit buffs(6-w/2 tabs, +1),
or if it's a vid or game, just leave them for later.  Also if
full screen I often won't see other application messages hidden
by the full screen window.

   In your case (and Jacky's), using vim full-screen eliminates
even the thought of staggered windows or using the mouse to
arrange them.  Full-screen narrows your view -- both in terms
of limiting it to only the files you've brought up, but also
to not seeing the usefulness of vim having multiple independent
windows as an option.

   Do you use vimperator as well? (a vim-like extension that
used to be maintained for the FF web-browser.  I tried it too,
BTW, but couldn't get used to using the keyboard to navigate
web pages.