At 22:01 -0700 4/10/09, Cyrus Griffin wrote:
>Well, I set up all that (I also realized I was running 7.5.0 not 7.5.5
>heh) and they still don't seem to want to talk... I set up the TCP/IP
>on the Duo, and the FileSharing is on, AppleTalk is set up to use
>Ethernet... I can't help feeling I'm missing something. What is the
>purpose of the AppleShare client? There doesn't seem to be any place
>to configure this... I have my iMac ethernet set up with AppleTalk,
>and both have manual DHCP addresses. I was able to connect to my
>iMac's IP address from the Duo, but only as a guest. (the Registered
>User radio button was greyed out) My iMac says the DuoDock server IP
>does not exist.

Despite Clark's insistence otherwise I have never been able to make
my system 7.5 SE/30 file server work with any OS neXt after 10.3.9.
It's possible that I it's mostly because I haven't tried for a couple
of years but I don't think the Apple 7.5 software has been improved.
It does seems as though your intent is to sit at an OS neXt Mac and
talk to a remote 7.5 machine - a server.

My SE/30 server is like an old cat that I don't want to commit to
euthanasia. I continue to run OS 10.3.9 on my Sawtooth G4 and the
lady of the house with more current Mac OS on a newer machine just
doesn't use the SE/30. The SE/30 connects to a Mac-II with nothing
inside but a power supply and up to 6 SCSI disks that change around
with time.

The SE/30 runs Netpresenz from Stairways software, now known for
Interarchy which is being maintained. Netpresenz allows my G4 and
pretty much any machine, including my ubuntu box, to connect and
upload and download files using IP over ethernet. It's not sharing
because it's pretty difficult to open and edit a file over the net
without making a temporary local copy.

There is also software for 7.5 from Open Door called Shareway. It was
initially for the likes of internet connection using a modem and
sharing over long distances. Apple bought rights that are the guts of
sharing over IP for use in system 8.5. Open Door has reduced its
price but the last time I looked it was still more than the current
value of an SE/30 and you need a license for each machine.

It is possible to use the stuff Clark suggests to make the SE/30 a
client over IP that would allow a user on the SE/30 to share files
that actually reside on the newer machine. For me, that's the
opposite of what I want. My SE/30's have serial ports and can act as
interfaces to older devices, mostly scientific instruments, that need
that kind of support. USB to RS232 converters don't hack it largely
because of distance. Newer instruments are coming out with ethernet
but if you think computers are expensive . . .

--
-->  There are 10 kinds of people:  those who understand binary, and
those who don't <--