d.colvin d.colvin wrote:
> Clearly you haven't been following the conversation. I said that I
> would go take a look at what he has because I'm local. I will
> inventory what he has and at least plug them into an outlet to see if
> they work or not.
What I was trying to say is that is probably the last thing the guy
wanted you to offer. He probably got that offer from a few people. He's
been pretty clear as far as I can tell. Come get it and bring cash.
Instead he is getting email about people wanting to rummage around in
his storage for a couple hours testing stuff and maybe taking the stuff
they like. Leaving his with a pile of worthless junk even harder to get
rid of.
> I don't think you are giving the people in this group enough credit. I
> think everyone here knows its not cheap to mail a computer. I had no
> intention of doing the packing myself. I believe that I mentioned UPS
> or Fed Ex does the packing and I suggested that we insure whatever we
> ship. I have stated that I will make aware (to the best of my ability)
> the condition of the computer and the cost including shipping in advance.

People usually have the best intentions and many believe they would
follow through. The truth is many never will. Some because they can't
afford it and some because they are just flakes. I've done this exact
thing before. I'm not being cynical I'm just relating the experience I
had. As you see others had the same exact experience. Its how I've seen
every one of these group deals go down unless its only a couple items.
Just trying to warn you.

The packing services are very expensive. You'll probably be looking at
$30-$50 to pack something like a mac classic. They charge $11 for the
box alone. UPS store is even worse. They not only over charge you for
packing the shipping rate at the store is higher then normal UPS. I've
seen a UPS store charge $250 to pack and ship a IBM XT system with
monitor. People will balk.

> I have no intention of buying the whole lot. When did I say that I was
> going to do that? I simply don't even have the cash to do that.
Thats what the guy wants and why you may never hear from him. My
response was really in response to the guy that said it sounded like a
scam. I think they guy just doesn't want to deal with exactly what you
are asking him for.
> So, in answer to your question "Who is going to ship off 15 old macs
> to people for nothing?" I believe that I said that I would. And I
> will, because of the help the people here on this list have given me
> over the years.  I never said anything about charging anyone $50 for
> my "effort". Where did you get that?

Have you done this before ? It is a lot  more work then you imagine.
Especially if your disabled. I was just trying to save you from the
shock of what massive pain it turns into. They will charge close to $50
at the packing store to pack a computer. So instead of you getting it
the store gets it. The figure will be close +/- $10.

> While, I subsist on a meager $1100 a month, not everyone is motivated
> by the almighty dollar. I'm sorry that you are so cynical, Pete but
> the offer stands for anyone that is still interested, including youself.
>
> And to the gentleman who suggested that I am scamming someone. . .
> well, I've made a suggestion for him off-group.

I actually took it to meant he thought Moose was the scammer.