Cyrus Griffin wrote:
> Well, as the OP (and Wolf) stated, he has had trouble on his Mac Plus,
> which doesn't use ADB. ADB was introduced with the SE and Mac II. The
> Mac Plus mouse connects with DB-9, I believe, which I *think* is an
> analog system, much like an Atari controller. (eg, one pin is ground,
> one pin connects for horizontal movement, one connects for vertical,
> one connects for the mouse button.)

It's not analog, it's digital.  The X & Y are quadrature encoded (2 bits
each) and the mouse button is just a switch closure.  They are not
serially encoded like ADB but it is still digital

> I would try cleaning the contacts, because as you stated, the same
> things happen with multiple mice, and since it works to move the
> mouse, it's probably the connection.
> You might also check the solder joints where the connector is soldered
> onto the mainboard, perhaps they're corroded, or the solder joints
> were weak.

Try starting up with just the mouse connected in case the keyboard is
causing a fault.

>       -Elliott
>

> On Jul 25, 2009, at 9:49 PM, Doug McNutt wrote:
>
>> At 19:51 -0500 7/25/09, Dark_Mac wrote:
>>> Now I had to make a keyboard cable from an old telephone headset cord
>>> that I had.  Yes I cut off one end and crimped on another RJ-11
>>> connector making sure that the wire colors are the same on each end
>>> when looking as the connector the same way.
>>>
>>> I have purchased two "new" mice off eRob sometime ago and picked up
>>> another when I way given an //e.
>>>
>>> Now the back ground is done, here is my issue.  I connect the mouse
>>> to the unit and also the keyboard.  Insert a boot disk and turn on
>>> the unit.
>>> It starts up and gives me a desktop with the bootdisk icon on it.  I
>>> can move the mouse and the curser moves with it but when I press the
>>> button I get nothing.  I do not see any action on the screen at all.

Wait a sec, you get the boot disk ICON but does it boot?  If it isn't
booting to the desktop then they mouse should behave as you describe.

You should see the menu bar at the top and the floppy ICON on the
desktop as well as any windows that might open.  If you are not seeing
this you need to get a working boot disk.

--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA