May be a very stupid, unnessecary and even offending question:
Have you closed the r/w protection of the disks?
Or did you try (unreadable) 1.44MB DOS disks on the two drives ?
Close the other hole with adhesive tape -
if it then askes for formatting, think of intensive cleaning, although they
read.
Lars