I don't think there were any 800K manual inject drives, only 1.44MB
superdrives after Apple started getting cheap. In fact, the later
manual inject drives introduced door flaps as well, cut down on dust
being pulled through. What that says to me is that during the SE
production, there would have only been auto-inject drives, even on the
FDHD. Therefore, I would question that advice to chuck the dust shield
for the SE. The Classic and Color Classic were different machines
which drew air indirectly from the the floppy drive, but the SE more
or less sucked most of its air right through the floppy, which
prompted Apple to offer optional plastic dust shields. On an SE with
such a shield, the drive is more or less hermetically sealed, no air
being drawn through it at all. If anything I would recommend adding
the shield to the SE, especially if it's going to be used in a dirty
location, like a garage or basement "workshop".