OK dad, noted. Thanks for the update.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dr. Hawkins [mailto:doch...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, December 04, 2009 11:06 AM
To: vintage-macs@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: kibimebigibi and Original Mac/UBUNTU

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 3:27 AM, Gregg Eshelman <g_ala...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- On Thu, 12/3/09, J. Alexander Jacocks <jjaco...@gmail.com> wrote:
> A system that almost made it out of the lab was a successor to the Atari
2600 which used 10 bit words.

Was that with a 6502 variant?

> If it's not 8 bits, it's not a byte, it's a "word". 4 bits is a nybble. 8
bits can also be called a word, which happens to be the same length as a
byte.

You're getting modern :)

"Byte" was in established usage by some manufacturers long before it
settled on 8 bits.  See this hashed out at length by those who were
there on a.f.c.

> That's why the BinHex encoding for Macintosh files exists, because in the
early years of the Internet, some routers and gateways only passed 7 bits of
each byte, which seriously FUBARed any files that were full 8 bit. That
problem *should* no longer exist, but you can still find some sites offering
Macintosh files in both MacBinary (encoded with 8 bit extended ASCII
character set) and BinHex (encoded with "low" 7 bit ASCII character set)
which are always larger than MacBinary files.

I suspect that what became the internet was more the exception than
the rule at that time.  More company dial-in servers, bulletin boards,
and fidonet.

hawk
--
These opinions are mine.  Noone else may have them without paying my
retainer.