On 3/7/2010 6:20 PM, James Fraser wrote:
<snip>
By the late 80s, Apple was charging so much money for the
Mac, that they could afford to put the highest spec hardware into
them as engineers had specified. It saved them a lot of headaches
and money in repairs.
I guess I'm just surprised that Apple was that keen on cost-cutting so near the
very beginning of the Macintosh product line.  I mean, shaving pennies that
early in the game (i.e. before the product line had a chance to firmly
establish itself) seems, to me at least, to be gambling with the company.

If you read some of the stories at http://www.folklore.org , you can see some of the cost-cutting subtexts. They were really trying to aim the original Mac at right around $2000, and didn't make it. Even then they knew 128k wasn't going to be enough RAM, which was why even during the prototyping they were already making proto boards at 512k. They even tried to cut it all the way back to 64k RAM, but it just wasn't going to work.

Even if the Macintosh product line was new, they were well-established as a computer production company. Look what happened to the Apple III due to cost-cutting and poor design.

Scott