On 3/8/10 7:58 AM, James Fraser wrote:
Hello,

--- On Mon, 3/8/10, David Colvin<d.col...@online.ie>  wrote:

Okay, the MacChiminey is a new one on me. Are you serious? Did
someone actually make that thing? MacAlly? Kensington?

Kensington made the System Saver Mac, a small fan unit that sat on
top of the 128K/512K/Ke/Plus.  I'm not sure how popular they were
originally, but I had a hard time trying to find one at a price point
I could stand in 2009.

I'm pretty sure these were pretty popular. It was a nice bit of work that slid into the handle space and, IIRC, had two power outlets.

They had a version for the SE, too, which, IIRC, was simply a module
to plug peripherals into, as the SE had a fan incorporated into the
design (Jobs had left Apple by then).

If Macally made a cooling device for the Plus, I couldn't tell you
what it was. [shrugs]

Anyway, the MacChimney was made by someone named Tom Swain and sold
for $18:

Yeah, I think that must have got a lot of snickers. It was literally a chimney that enhanced the convection flow of cooling air. No fan at all.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/idontlikewords/275104234/

Try as I might, I couldn't find more than a passing reference to it
online; I've always been curious as to how many units he sold. ،_،

My self I crafted my own method. I attached a small muffin fan underneath one of the vents in the top rear. It connected to the logic board using little spring clips on an electrolytic capacitor on the 12V line. I put a resistor in line with it to reduce the speed of the fan some to cut down on the noise.

--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA