On Nov 10, 2010, at 8:08 PM, Glen Waterman wrote:

I've got several old Macintosh machines that I'm not incredibly
familiar with (compared to more modern Macs). My goal recently has
been to get lots of software downloaded for use on my Macintosh Plus
and Macintosh SE, as I have next to nothing useful for these but would
love to see them used. I've got lots of files to transfer, but I'm
having trouble doing so.

My plan was to download (mostly from System 6 heaven) the desired
files with my eMac, and once everything was all together in a folder,
burn it to a CD. I then could use my Power Macintosh 7100/66 to
transfer the files from the CD to floppies, as I don't have any floppy
drives on any internet connected Macintoshes (thank God for the
7100 :) ). Once on floppy disks, I could put them on my SE or Plus.

In general, I prefer networked file transfer over removable media. I don't know if AppleShare will work in this case -- I suspect that forced obsolescence applies. But you should be able to use FTP (in either direction) or HTTP (to download).

A few details: my eMac is 10.5 Leo., the Power Macintosh is running OS
8, and I do have a boot floppy for System 6 for the Plus/SE (the SE is
dual floppy, no HD). I do have an LC III running System 7.1 as well if
that would be helpful to me at all.

Since your target Mac doesn't have a hard disk, you can't just copy stuff over, since there's nowhere to put it. Consider booting an AppleShare-capable system, so you can mount a share over LocalTalk. It will be slow, but I think not as bad as floppies, and should save you some hassle. Also consider getting Mini vMac (a Mac Plus emulator), which works with disk images, so you can try them out before going to the effort of copying them to disk. Not to mention that Mini vMac is amazingly fast if you lift the speed throttle.

Josh