Let me start by asking your forgiveness for my rambling, but here's
how this is going:

A note on equipment: The 7100/66 is running OS 8.0. I didn't think to
mention on my original post, but I do have a SCSI hard drive I could
use to (theoretically) go from 7100->LCIII as well. I've tried hooking
the HD to the Plus before, but there were several issues (HD is 3 GB,
which I think might be too much for System 6 to see, and I know
there's interleave issues as well.)

Anyway, I downloaded a program today named 'Burn', and was able to
make myself an HFS standard disk. The 7100 reads the disc with no
problems (which, btw, I was only able to burn at 4x; 1 or 2x wasn't
even an option.) However, upon insertion of a floppy to write files to
(the lone 2DD disk I could find laying around), it asked for the
initialization, and I named it and let it work its magic. However,
after a minute or so, it returned a message saying initialization
failed, with no further explanation.

I popped the floppy into the Mac Plus, and used that to initialize it
as a double sided disk. It worked fine, I was able to name the disk
(even though I had no files to put on it.) I put it back in the 7100,
which for some reason only wanted to initialize it again. I'm not sure
if there's some difference in the initialization methods between
System 6 and OS 8, but I didn't give up just yet.

I dug out the SCSI hard drive, hooked it all up while the 7100 was
off, turned it on w/ a SCSI ID of 3, and booted the 7100. Since taking
that step, the 7100 hasn't been the same. The first time, it booted
slowly, then was unresponsive once it got to the desktop. The mouse
pointer sat in the top corner of the screen just blinking between
pointer and the wait-a-second-icon every few seconds. I ended up using
the power button on the back of the machine to restart it, with the
SCSI HD off, and didn't turn the HD back on, but the machine still
reacted the same way on the second boot.

I figured it might be having trouble with the internal hard drive (had
I selected the same SCSI ID somehow? I thought the internal was
'0'...), so I restarted while holding 'd', and it appeared to boot to
the desktop correctly, albeit slowly. The problem is, now that it's
booted to the desktop with all the normal icons, it's still
unresponsive. A floppy insertion provokes no reaction, the HD doesn't
show up if I turn it on, the CD tray won't eject. If I push the power
button on the keyboard, a dialogue box shows up for a fraction of a
second with a 'shut down' button visible, but promptly disappears. I'm
out of ideas for the 7100.

Now, I know some posters have mentioned the possibility of AppleTalk.
I'll admit, the extent of my knowledge is very limited in this area.
I've fiddled with the setting in Chooser in system 6, but never
actually used it. I'm open to the idea, but (I believe) restricted by
my (lack of) equipment. I have one ADB keyboard and one ADB mouse. If
what I've seen is correct, they are not hot swappable (at least, not
safely.) I assume it'd be pretty easy to link the LC III with the
7100, but I only can run one at once with my peripherals. I tried
setting up the Macintosh Plus with the 7100 for AppleTalk, but got
nowhere. I'm not sure if you have to have the same OS or have to tweak
settings in 8 to work with 6 or something.

Regrettably, I do not have the adapter for the ethernet on the
7100/66. I do have a U.S. Robotics modem, but have little/no
experience with this as well. Should I expect to be able to use a
phone cord/ethernet adapter to hook into my modern router for internet/
networking, or are the old boxes expecting a dial tone and nothing
else? I don't want to be paying twice for internet service every month
to get high speed and dial-up... but I digress.

I suppose the question is, is there a way to get AppleTalk working
productively between the Plus and 7100? Is there any sort of SCSI
target mode or something to make the internal HD of the 7100 (which I
could theoretically copy the files onto if I got the 7100 working
again) visible to the Plus? How should I go about troubleshooting the
7100? I don't have any OS 8 or 9 install discs, and the only dual boot
machine I own is a lime iBook clamshell (and no floppy drive for it).
Did I do anything particularly wrong in trying to hook up the SCSI HD
with the 7100? I thought only SCSI ID's 0,1, and 2 would be used for
the HD, floppy, and CD ROM drive, but 3,4,5, and 6 didn't work
either.

I appreciate all assistance. Ever since discovering emacs in terminal,
I've wanted to play Pong and the like on my old Macs, and it's good to
be getting close :)

Glen