Nat Hall wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 12:54 AM, Ron Soderblom <back2goo...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > I am trying to determine what my mac plus and imagewriter II printer
> > are currently worth and seeking a buyer.
> >

> I can't answer that, but I will say one thing: never, EVER use eBay BIN
> listings as a guide. A quick search reveals a yellowed Mac Plus, without
> keyboard, mouse, or any other peripherals, sold AS-IS (untested), for the
> bargain price of $341.96. Another listing features a Plus "complete" with
> keyboard and mouse for a mere $400.

Ebay is a strange and sometimes irritating place.   I once bid on a
Fujitsu Magneto Optical Drive (DynaMO:  think ZIP drive with six times
the capacity per disk and infinitely more reliable and media priced
the same per piece).  I think I bid about $25.   I was outbid.   A few
hours after the auction, the winning bidder had the gall to spam me
about  his online store which was full of MO drives all priced for
several hundred dollars each.   So the guy outbids me and then tries
to sell me the item in question for thirty times what I bid on it.

His business model seemed to be to buy all of the MO drives that ever
showed up and monopolize the supply.  I already had three of the
drives and occasionally find them at Goodwill for $10, so I happily
ignored him.  I hope he's choked on his businees strategy.

> As for the ImageWriter II.... Well, I'm pretty sure the IW II shipped more
> units than any other printer in the history of mankind so you probably
> shouldn't expect much there. On the other hand, if your unit is mint and
> still with the original packaging it might be worth a small chunk of change
> to some collector type on the lookout for a pretty looking IW II to round
> out his collection.

The IWII can sell for a nice chunk of money if it includes a working
Cut Sheet Feeder.  Of course, in those circumstances, one can just
sell the Cut Sheet Feeder by itself, and let the buyer find an IWII
lying in a ditch by the road or sitting on a shelf in an old
warehouse.

I, of course, have an IWII with the Cut Sheet Feeder, the LocalTalk
Option, and the MicroSpot MacPalette II extension (print driver) that
allows the four color ribbon to dither millions of colors.    I think
I use it about once a year.   Nevertheless, I have spares for the
major circuit boards and the print head sequestered in the attic for
that day when it fails to power up and print right.

Jeff Walther