James Fraser wrote:
> Hello,
>
> --- On Wed, 11/24/10, Jeff Walther <t...@io.com> wrote:
>
> >A few hours after the auction, the winning bidder had the gall to
> >spam me about  his online store which was full of MO drives
> >all priced for several hundred dollars each.   So the guy
> >outbids me and then tries to sell me the item in question for thirty times
> >>what I bid on it.
>
> I'm guessing this was quite a while ago.  Fairly recently, (2008-ish?
> Anyone?) eBay took it upon themselves to conceal bidders' identities.

Yep.  I'm not sure how long ago.  I didn't put a time stamp on my
memory.  And with the modern storage devices, MO is not nearly as
attractive now so I can't imagine shopping for another drive now
days.  Nevertheless, a nice SCSI MO drive isn't a bad thing to have
with a vintage Macintosh.  It is vastly better than an old ZIP drive.

> Anyhow, IIRC, wasn't the cut sheet feeder prone to jamming?  I'm dredging the
> hoary vaults of memory here, but I believe I messed with one a few times
> way-back-when, and the game just didn't seem worth the candle. Although, to
> be fair, I always had an unhappy penchant for printing out hard copies mere
> minutes before I desperately needed them, so just about -any- delay in the
> output was maddening. :)

I've never had any trouble with mine.   But who knows what the average
experience was like.   After I hooked mine up I pretty much never went
back to the form feed paper.
> > colors.    I think I use it about once a year.
>
> I have to ask: what application calls for such a setup on an annual basis?
> [scratches head]
>
> (You don't have to tell me if you don't want to, but I am curious.)

It's not an annual event.  I just figure I use the printer about once
a year.   It's probably silly because I have a postscript laser
printer and a Localtalk <=> ethernet bridge, so it's not like the IWII
is providing functionality that I don't have in another newer better
printer.

> >Nevertheless, I have spares for the major circuit boards and the print >head
> >sequestered in the attic for that day when it fails to power up and >print
> >right.
>
> I'm guessing you acquired all this stuff quite some time ago, as I can't
> imagine how long it's been since Apple was offering spares for the IWII.  @_@

Most of it I obtained from a university auctioning off old stock from
their computer service center.

Jeff Walther