as ive opened a few macs before, the Plus didnt have an internal HD, so unless
you have the system disk in the floppy drive, or the system is on the external
HD, it wont boot.  also, the PRAM battery may have died and it doesnt remember
to boot from the ext drive.

i may be wrong on this, anyone else feel free to chime in.

--
Sent from my iPad