Hi Peter,

I am also restoring an old SE/30. The PRAM battery is fairly
straightforward even though I have fat fingers.

When I say forward or backwards, I am using the terms as if the computer is
sitting normally with the screen to the front (forwards) and the back
casing to the rear (backwards). A torch/flashlight or a good source of
light is helpful.

With the machine switched off, and left for any charge to dissipate:

Remove the back casing (15cm/6in Torx T15 needed).
Remove the EFI shield on the bottom/sides.
Carefully remove the floppy cable from the logic board (LB).
Carefully remove the SCSI cable from the LB.
Carefully remove the power connector from the LB. You need to get a
fingertip behind this to snag a lug loose. Then work the connector gently
out from side to side.
With those cables folded carefully out of the way, place the SE/30 face
down on a protective cloth.
On the analog board side of the SE/30, the LB is notched. Carefully slide
the LB backwards until the notches line up with the metal frame.
Carefully - really carefully - ease the LB from the notches and slip out
the other side of the LB (HDD / FDD side) from the frame.
Carefully tip the LB down away from the frame a little and you will see a
connector running to the speaker. Disconnect this.
The battery is held in a small frame on the LB which needs to be popped off
carefully - they can fracture. I would use a flat plastic spudger to tease
it off.
This will also give you an opportunity to examine carefully the board. Mine
was covered in dust but little else. No tell-tale signs of capacitor
leakage. A good air-duster worked a treat.
After you replace the battery, reassembly is a reverse of disassembly.

Speaker connector (it only fits one way), then slip LB into FDD/HDD side of
frame first. Line up notches in the LB with the frame on the analog side.
Slide LB forward. Metal lugs attached to the board should engage in the
back of the metal frame.
Connect power then SCSI then FDD cables.
Replace EFI shield carefully.
Replace the casing back.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Keith