On Sat, 7/13/13, J.S. Garrison <garriso...@yahoo.com> wrote:

 Subject: Re: Are my 2 Powerbook 100 only for the trashcan?
 To: "vintage-macs@googlegroups.com" <vintage-macs@googlegroups.com>
 Date: Saturday, July 13, 2013, 9:15 AM

 So when a member recently
 told me upon my return to the lists that Caps were a big
 topic, I can see he was right. Amazingthat
 these components could be so fragile. Why not the others?
 You almost never hear of resistors or LSICs or coils needing
 replacement.It's
 almost as if caps throughout history were very poorly
 designed or made.
 Jeff

Capacitor plague. <Google that

It involves industrial espionage, a stolen yet substandard formula for
capacitor electrolyte and millions upon millions of counterfeit capacitors
flooding the electronics industry in the 1990's and early 00's.

That's why you see some equipment that has 100% good caps after all these
years, some with 100% bad caps and some with at least one but less than all
bad. I've seen many PC motherboards where only one specific size/brand of
capacitors have gone bad.

Nobody could tell the genuine name brand caps from the knockoffs without
closely examining them side by side, which nobody was doing while the bad caps
were going into computers. They were good enough to nearly always last until
years after the hardware was out of warranty.

---
"Vintage Macs" group.
to vintage-macs+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.