I've started working towards going through my computer collection and making
sure all batteries are removed...and it's been a depressing experience so
far.  From what I've read, in the Mac world, Maxell batteries are bad news.
In the PC world, seems like everything I have with a non-button cell type
battery is leaking...at least the 4 or 5 or so I've gotten to so far.  And
all but one have been dead...and the one that is still alive won't recognize
a keyboard that is plugged in.  :-(  The worst was the old IBM AT 5170
motherboard I had in a drawer...stupid me left the 4xAA CMOS battery holder
laying on top of the board, face down, with batteries still installed.
Ugh...and to add insult to injury, another of my semi-treasured motherboards
was laying on top and leaked some battery crap down onto it...so somewhere
between those two...it's dead...plus the one that had been laying on top of
it is dead too.  Heavy sigh...  Many of the older 386/486 era PC's have a
soldered-on NiCd or NiMH battery, and they all seem to be leaking deadly
goop...which means you have to take the board out to get the snips to the
area to remove said battery.  I need to get to the Mac's as well...got a
IIci and IIcx (or something like that)...hoping they aren't damaged.  Then
there are the LC's...and I know some of those need new caps...  I didn't
know computer collecting could be time consuming as well!

So...the moral of the story...go through everything and TAKE OUT THE
BATTERIES!!!

Wesley