My OS X knowledge is not up to answering your direct questions, but if
these files are backups you could always archive with StuffIt or binhex and
they'll be safe to move through any modern OS (Linux & Windows included).
Conceivably, the 10.4 machine could even archive inbound files
automatically for you and then store on the remote modern server.

That's not as simple a solution, but may be the most fool-proof. I made the
mistake of storing a bunch of stuff native on a Linux netatalk server once
and not moving it off/archiving from a native Mac machine, so lots of file
corruption. :)

How much space do you need for classic files? I just have a G4 tower with a
couple 80GB drives and have a long ways to go, but also not a lot of files
& machines...