The best way to ensure the resource forks are preserved is to use a Mac that
supports the Apple Double system (which is what they called the dual forks) and
pack those files into Stuffit archive files. If a Stuffit archive loses its
resource fork, later versions of Stuffit can still extract them. The Stuffit
files may be moved through any other system without problems.

Do NOT use Self-Extracting Archive! .SEA files are beyond recovery if they lose
their resource forks. That's why .SEA files were always encoded with MacBinary
.BIN or BinHex .HQX so they could be moved around as text files.

BinHex actually started on CompuServe as a way to send binary files because not
all of CompuServe's servers and routers were 8 bit 'clean'. Some of the main
Internet systems also were that way. Since the bulk of data that was sent
across the Internet in its early years was English text, the amount of data
sent could be reduced by 1/8 simply by assuming the (IIRC) least significant
bit was always zero, as it is for all the ASCII characters used in English.
Try to send a binary file through that, where some bytes have LSB that's 1, and
you get garbage on the other end. BinHex encodes each byte to one or more 7 bit
ASCII characters, which does increase the file size, but ensures it will pass
cleanly through any server or router that converts all LSB's to zero. (There
should not be any such still in active use.)
MacBinary uses a larger alphabet of text characters, where some have LSBs that
are 1, so the encoded file size is about the same as the binary original.
MacBinary (and UUencode and other similar schemes) were used to post binary
files to USENET and to bypass e-mail filters that blocked executable or all
non-text attachments.
Many Mac software websites used to have two or three test files to download,
one in MacBinary, one in BinHex and sometimes a 'bare' Stuffit archive. the
object of that was to try downloading the archive, then the BIN then the HQX,
to see which format of the big download you could get without corruption. If
you couldn't download any of them cleanly, your next step was calling the ISP
to find out what they were doing that was corrupting your downloads.