> On Aug 31, 2016, at 12:05 AM, Clark Martin <cm...@sonic.net> wrote:
>
> I'm using a Mac now to develop Atmel AVR 8 bit MCU 'c' code.  This is on a
> MacMini (OS 10.6.8).  Previously I did MC68HC11 assembly code.  I don't
> recall how far back, Mac wise, I went but it was at the latest a G4.
>
> There are assemblers for a number of CPUs available that run under OSX.
>
> I like the Atmel as I can write in 'c' which is just a lot easier than
> assembly.
>
> I have recently found an 8080 assembler I can use.  This will come in handy
> as I'm building an 8080 emulator (using an Atmel MCU). I am recreating the
> first computer I built, 35 years ago.  The MCU I'm using has 128 KBytes of
> flash and 32 KBytes of Ram, quite a bit more than the 1K EEPROM AND 4K of
> RAM.  The RAM card was made from 32 1Kbit chips and I wired all of it by hand.
>
> Clark Martin
> KK6ISP
> Yet another designated driver on the information super highway.

My memory is that programmer support for the various micro-controllers didn’t
really come into being on the Macintosh side until Apple went with the x86
processors.  Macs represent such a small market in that industry it made no
sense to develop for PPC.

My company send me to a conference when Atmel first released the AVRs…  I had
years of PIC experience and there were some aspects of the AVR which appealed
to me.  Not that we switched mind you…

C over assembly?  Really?  I am the exact opposite.  I find high level
languages to be cumbersome, the code difficult to follow and the compiled code
far too inefficient.  My company did use C for some high level routines on an
HC11, but all our Z-80, speed sensitive HC11 and PIC code was straight up
assembly.  Even the little bit of x86 code I did was in assembly.  It sometimes
amazes me what we were able to accomplish in 2K (or less) of code space on a
PIC.

Derek

---
"Vintage Macs" group.