on 7/29/01 3:00 PM, (Vintage Macs) at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I couldn't agree with the above statement more...  Certainly building and
> selling as many 80x86's as I do I am now starting to consider making
> recomendations to people who are somewhat new to the world of computers to
> purchase a macintosh...  One of the HUGE pitfalls of selling new users a
> pentium type machine is that the damn things crash so much... <--- this
> statement from a long time Pentium user...  On the other hand they are cheap
> to build, I can build a basic pentium box for a few hundred dollars...  want
> all the bells and whistles and it costs more but for basic tasks it may be
> all you need...

I know I have said this many times before, but I never cease to be amazed
(well, maybe not *amazed* at this point) at the extreme disparities between
newbie users who bought Macs and newbie users who bought PCs. I mean,
there's a *huge* gap - no, a chasm - between the experiences and progress of
these users (who start from the same place).

As a co-worker of mine commented the other day when we were discussing this
very thing, "If you don't know what kind of computer you need, then you need
a Mac!"

> What would be nice would be to have some type of supply of older macs like a
> powerbook 1400cs with loads of ram in it.  They would sell as decent little
> student laptops...

Exactly! I'll be buying a Powerbook 180 next week to use for writing papers
whilst at the library or such. That's all that most students use their
laptops for. They don't need so many unnecessary bells and whistles!

Also, my freshman year of college, I had a friend on my hall who didn't have
a computer and hated having to go to the labs to write her papers, because
she was always so distracted by the noise and other people. I gave her an SE
that I'd bought at the Salvation Army a few months earlier and had just been
sitting around. She loved it! (She especially loved its compact size, so it
didn't take up too much room on her cluttered desk!)

--
Amber Rhea
Web Instructional Development Call Center